Wednesday, September 12, 2012

If you don't like it - turn it off.


Dear paranoid androids,

I have spent the last four hours reading some very interesting literature. I’ve left it late, as I usually do, because I was outside with real people, in the sun. I applied sunblock too late, so the slight sunburn I have caused myself has made me drowsy. I didn’t realise the time, because my BlackBerry was in the car. I don’t have a watch – well, I do, but the battery ran flat about six years ago. I had left my iPad at home to charge, because the new ones take nine painfully long hours to charge.

My dear androids, the vicious cycle you are stuck in, the “cycle of responsiveness” that comes from being “on” (Perlow 2012:6-7) has not left you stranded and fighting for air. You are able to put down the Instagram, you can step away from the Galaxy S3 and the Smart TV…you can even close the laptop, program the PVR to record Law & Order, and walk away. Perlow[i] (2012:8) notes that people resent the way professional and personal lives are increasingly merging, and that people fail to realise that they are indeed their own worst enemies. Granted, I am not a CEO of a multinational corporation, but even the super-rich faceless CEO has henchmen.  But, since I am not, nor are many people CEOs, Perlow (2012:4) suggests a process called “predictable time off”. Perlow’s (2012:4) PTO system dictates that people work together in order to be ergonomic worker bees, instead of frantic badgers, clawing the walls of their cubicles in a desperate attempt to escape their self-imposed chains.  My iPad was left on charge because I used it last night to record the podcast I co-host.

co-host, because I don’t have the technical knowhow (self-imposed ignorance or not) to edit the audio, so one of the co-hosts does it. I have created, albeit on a micro scale, a “predictable time off” (Perlow 2012:4), because while he edits, I am in charge of Twitter marketing (which I am admittedly rubbish at, because I am not always on).

People whimper that they feel they are always connected, which Perlow (2012) details. They whine that they never have down time where they are completely and utterly unreachable.  But I have never had an issue just turning my phone off, or shutting down my iPad. I don’t get nervous twitches when I don’t check my Facebook newsfeed, or my Twitter timeline when wake up. I don’t find myself gasping for the sweet relief that comes with knowing that someone I haven’t seen in a decade checked into a restaurant that I have never been in 5 minutes ago. I don’t have the attention span to deal with Facebook, which deals with a 99% drivel statistic. That being said, my dear androids, I have just finished reading the introduction to Rheingold’s (2012) Net Smart where he discusses the loss of attention we, as a digital citizenship, suffer from. I felt a bit bad that I was losing concentration. Not for the fact that I couldn’t concentrate, but for the pure fact that if people (kids specifically) cannot concentrate, we just need new ways of reaching them. We are, as Rheingold (2012:2) suggests, in an age where we are overloaded with information. 

But I believe that it is a generational problem. Kids of the future, I believe, won’t have the same agitation that comes with the constant connectedness, nor will they struggle to sift through information, like we do now. Rheingold (2012:16) argues that we need to be taught how to be aware of the credibility, or lack thereof, at school level. I don’t know anyone at school anymore, but I believe they are not being taught how to distrust Wikipedia. With that in mind, Wikipedia is a fantastic platform. The Internet in general is an incredibly powerful tool, but for research purposes, Wikipedia holds a place dear in my heart. Rheingold (2012:22) argues that tools like Wikipedia need to be used responsibly, and it is impossible to argue against the usefulness of Wikipedia – collaborative knowledge accessible to anyone with an Internet connection. Obviously, dear androids, it is hardly credible, but Wikipedia can function as an invaluable starting-point. As does Facebook, Twitter and all the other social media platforms. I am able to see what people are planning on the other side of the planet. I can see what games my grandmother (yes, my grandmother) is playing. I can access the same people I haven’t seen in a decade that checked into the restaurant, now 15 minutes ago. They are, most likely, ordering drinks and starters by now. If they are good looking starters, they might upload a photo via Instagram. They might not. Either way – I don’t really care. But I could if I wanted to.

Marche (2012:sp) asks whether the constant connection to these social networking platforms, Facebook specifically, is making us lonely. The ambient intimacy afforded to us by these platforms, Marche (2012:sp) argues, is contrasted with a sense of disconnectedness from real life. But, Marche (2012:sp) continues, as does Perlow (2012:8), that it is self-imposed. Machines, Marche (2012:sp) and countless others argue, do not decide what they do with us. We decide how we use our technology. We are not Heidegger’s (in Feenberg 2002:7) standing reserves if we don’t want to be. The fetish of reading the newsfeed on Facebook will only make you miserable when you see that Binki is with someone too fabulous to have a name, and they are in Budapest. Again. Why don’t you close the laptop, and go to Budapest instead of lying in a slightly damp heap of your own reTweets.

My dear paranoid androids, it’s called an off button. If you don’t like it – turn it off.

Virtually yours,

Desré.



[i] Buy the books. Don’t pirate.

No comments:

Post a Comment